Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Scene Assignment Relflections

I had a great time doing the scene assignment. Overall, it was a great lesson in patience. Sitting on a set for 6 to 12 hours at one time is no small feat. Even if you are just gripping or gaffing paying attention to detail is VERY important, and paying attention the entire time is the most important. As director, again I learned that it is really hard to articulate what you want your movie to look like. Also I learned that there can never be enough pre production. Even if you don't want to shoot narrative films, having a definitive idea about what you want to achieve visually is crucial to succeeding as a film maker. I enjoyed working with my group. I gaffed and gripped four project and dp'd one and directed one. So my plate was full! But I enjoyed every moment of it. The scene assignment was great hands on experience, we got to touch and understand the equipment we learned about in class and that is priceless.

I still don't want to direct narrative films, but this assignment taught me that I can manipulate light for my documentaries as well. Viewers like to see visually interesting dynamics playing out on screen regardless of the genre so learning these lighting skills was definitely an advantage. Even manipulation of natural light can add the little bit of creativity you are looking for to make a subject look more dynamic. In many ways lighting compliments your story by adding depth and mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment