Thursday, September 1, 2011

Inspiration


Gordon Parks was one of the first photographers I discovered. After reading his book, Choice of Weapons, I knew that documentary form was what I wanted to peruse as my career.  Despite the lack of lighting equipment or a studio, the framing, composition and color of the shots speak volumes. I enjoy shots of real people in real time, it allows the photographer to subtly explain a political choice without an overt agenda. People and situations are intrinsically political.  Authenticity inspires me.




Mad Men
Also, something that I thought I would never like, a show about advertising executives, inspires me. The attention to detail is what is amazing about the show Mad Men. This shot of the three completely different women occupying one space is striking. They don't have to speak. The details say it all. Their clothing, their facial expressions and posture and last the framing. All of the details paint a picture about three completely different women in one elevator ( meaning they are going somewhere-up or down). In my opinion, it's one of the most powerful shots of the season. Proving that careful manipulation of light and set design can  implore powerful messages and meanings.

4 comments:

  1. I totally love Mad Men, as well. They are absolute masters of detail. Definitely a great source of inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the same resonance with B&W as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first pics you've posted are beautiful. I don't now if this level of emotion could be captured with a fictional film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we share an appreciation for black and whites. I love the evocation of emotion that they bring

    ReplyDelete