Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ligthing Styles

Natural Light Manipulation

As a documentarian, I would imagine myself in situations where I really wouldn't have time to take hours upon hours to set up lights. Unless it's a talking head interview. So how do I get visually interesting shots without any c stands, nets flags or lighting equipment? Hopefully I will be observant enough, much like the photographer who took the picture above, to manipulate natural light in order to compliment the beauty of the story.

When viewing the manipulation of natural light and shadows, it interest me because of how simple and complex light can be. I can appreciate the manipulation of natural light because it seems that you are working with the elements that surround you. Observing natural light is amazing to me as well because it's everywhere! Light exist in neat shapes; surrounding objects and creating soft and hard lines or shadows.

Hard Light

Hard Lighting is also a favorite of mine. I think Xavier said that shadows give character and I completely agree.Also, the depth and texture that shadows give create some of the most beautiful images that I have seen. Adding texture to a photo like the one above allows the viewer/observer to relate in an more intimate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment