Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Reflections

Its an interesting question, What have I leaned so far? I have learned a lot! I have learned the importance of color temperatures when lighting a scene. Also, the crucial importance of white balancing your camera. Also, organization is crucial when planning to go on a shoot, even if you think it's going to be a simple point and shoot and wrap set. I've learned about filters and their importance, I have learned the basics of shutter speed, aperture, color temps, depth of fields, and about the aptitude of several different cameras like the HDV and JVC. I've also learned cinematography is an important concept for ever gorilla documentarians to understand, because style, tone, and look are all important when you are telling a story visually.

The most challenging thing i have had to learn is lighting and trying to break away from the writer side of myself.  I come from a writers background. I love non fiction writing and that is part of the reason I decided I wanted to be a documentary film maker. However, translating non fiction writing into a visual piece of art work has been difficult and frustrating. For instance in a  documentary you can't just show talking heads you have to have visual variety to tell your story because that's what makes the story more appealing and ultimately that's what you're audience expects. Now, lighting is something I have never done before except for that one time in Schwartz's class :). So This is definitely foreign territory. However, I accept the challenge. Trying to articulate a vision visually is one of the most interesting skills I have ever had to try and accomplish.

The Rewarding thing about videography  is succeeding once I have failed. I have learned that I WILL FAIL! but that's okay. I think the most rewarding thing for me is learning patience and that I won't be the best at everything right out of the gate.Film-making takes time, preparation, and knowledge. But the most gratifying thing is knowing that I am learning and that if I fail, I learn from the mistakes I make. Lessons leaned: always white balance, Always check the equipment to see if it works, and always stay organized. I am happy to have the time to fail in a comfortable place where we are all learning and we will all take our learned experiences of this class and turn them into something great.

No comments:

Post a Comment